Exciting news! Will be in the queue for this festival session that’s for sure.
SARAH BROOM POETRY PRIZE
The Sarah Broom Poetry Prize is one of New Zealand’s most valuable poetry prizes and aims to recognise and financially support new work from an emerging or established New Zealand poet. In 2018, the prize is an award of $5,000.
The prize was established in 2013 in honour of the New Zealand poet Sarah Broom (1972-2013), the author of Tigers at Awhitu (2010) and Gleam (2013).
Entries open on 19 February and close on 11 March 2018
Now in its fifth year, we are pleased to again showcase and celebrate New Zealand poetry during Auckland Writers Festival week in May 2018. Shortlisted poets will read from their work at a dedicated poetry event hosted by the Sarah Broom Poetry Trust where the winner will be announced.
For more information about the prize and Sarah Broom visit http://www.sarahbroom.co.nz
For more information about the Auckland Writers Festival, which will be held from 15 – 20 May 2018, visit here
HOW TO ENTER
The prize is awarded on the basis of an original collection of poems by a New Zealand resident or citizen. Entries will be accepted from from 19 February 2018 until 11 March 2018.
Poets are required to submit six to eight poems, of which at least five must be unpublished. The recipient of the prize will be announced in May 2018 during Auckland Writers Festival week. Shortlisted poets will be invited to attend a dedicated event and read from their work.
Entries should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
Any queries should be emailed to email@example.com
CONDITIONS OF ENTRY
- Poets are required to submit six to eight poems of which at least five must be unpublished.
- There is no maximum or minimum length – formatting and font size is your choice.
- Entrants must be New Zealand permanent residents or citizens.
- Only one entry per person will be accepted.
- Entries must be the author’s original work. Any use of quotation must be acknowledged by attribution to its source.
- Entries must be submitted as one electronic file per entrant, as an email attachment in Word or PDF format. No identifying details should be present in this poetry portfolio.
- Your entry should also include a covering email with a brief personal statement, an indication of how you would use the award money, and contact details. These covering details are not provided to the judge.
- The judge will assess the merits of submissions, and the Sarah Broom Poetry Trust reserves the right not to award a prize.
- The prize recipient will be announced during Auckland Writers Festival week in May 2018 and in other appropriate publications.
- It is expected that entrants would be able to travel to Auckland, if shortlisted, for the Sarah Broom Poetry Prize event which will likely be on either Saturday 19 May or Sunday 20 May 2018. Times and details will be announced on the website http://www.sarahbroom.co.nz
- No correspondence with the judge will be entered into.
- The name and photograph of the prize recipient may be used by the Sarah Broom Poetry Trust for publicity purposes.