Submission guidelines (see here for full page)
Submissions for Best New Zealand Poems 2015 are open from 1January 2015 and must be received by 15 December 2015.
What to submit
- Only poems or books of poems by New Zealanders published within the calendar year of the current collection are eligible for consideration. (Unpublished poems may be submitted to our other annual online collection, Turbine.)
- Poems or collections published in print or in online journals, and in local or international publications, are eligible provided the publication date falls within the calendar year.
- While online journals are an acceptable publication source, blogs will generally not be eligible.
- Publishers may submit books, magazines, journals or links to online journals that meet these criteria.
- Individual poets may also submit published poems or books directly.
- Please note the specific guidelines about electronic submissions under ‘How to Submit’ below.
When to submit
- You may send submissions for Best New Zealand Poems 2014 at any time during the calendar year, provided they reach the IIML by 15 December 2015.
- Receipt of email submissions will be acknowledged. Postal submissions will be acknowledged if an email address or SSAE is included with the submission.
- Publishers and / or authors of selected poems will be contacted by February of the following year. For all accepted material, copyright remains with the author (or in some instances the original publisher) upon publication. Due to the volume of submissions, we are unable to
- The editors are unable to engage in correspondence regarding individual submissions.
How to submit
Postal submissions should be directed to:
c/o International Institute of Modern Letters
PO Box 600
Email submissions of individual poems or a small selection of poems should be submitted, preferably as attachments, to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Please put ‘BNZP submission’ in the subject line.
- Include contact details, preferably an email address, in the body of the email.
- Include name and contact details on each page of your submission.
- Mac users sending MS Word attachments should save them first in Rich Text Format and add a “.rtf” suffix to each filename.
- We do not accept whole manuscripts in electronic form. Submissions of e-book-only publications should be made in the form of a printed pdf copy, and include a link to the publication site.
Whether posting or emailing, please include the following information with each individual submission:
The place and date of publication of each poem submitted (including web links if relevant).
Your name, email and the poem title on each page you submit.