SARAH BROOM POETRY PRIZE
The Sarah Broom Poetry Prize is New Zealand’s most valuable poetry prize and aims to recognise and financially support new work from an emerging or established New Zealand poet through a $10,000 award.
The prize was established in 2013 in honour of the New Zealand poet Sarah Broom (1972-2013), the author of Tigers at Awhitu (2010) and Gleam (2013).
Entries open on 6 February and close on 2 March 2017
The Sarah Broom Poetry Prize is now in its fourth year, and we are pleased again to be working together with the Auckland Writers Festival to showcase and celebrate New Zealand poetry. The prize will be announced at the Auckland Writers Festival in May 2017. Shortlisted poets will be invited to read their poetry at a dedicated poetry event at the Festival, where the winner will be announced.
The judge for the 2017 prize is Carol Ann Duffy. Duffy is Britain’s Poet Laureate and is the first woman in the role’s 400 year history. She is one of the most significant names in contemporary poetry and the author of books for children, plays and many celebrated poetry collections including Mean Time (1993), which won the Whitbread Poetry Award and the Forward Poetry Prize, The World’s Wife (1999), Love Poems (2010) and The Bees (2011). She has been awarded numerous awards and prizes for her work including the T.S Eliot Poetry Prize.
For more information about the prize and Sarah Broom see here.
For more information about the Auckland Writers Festival, which will be held from 16 – 21 May 2017, visit here.
HOW TO ENTER
The prize is awarded on the basis of an original collection of poems by a New Zealand resident or citizen. Entries will be accepted from from 6 February 2017 until 2 March 2017.
Poets are required to submit six to eight poems, of which at least five must be unpublished. The recipient of the prize will be announced in May 2017 at the Auckland Writers Festival. Shortlisted poets will be invited to attend a dedicated event and read from their work.
Entries should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org Any queries should be emailed to email@example.com
CONDITIONS OF ENTRY
1. Poets are required to submit six to eight poems of which at least five must be unpublished. 2. There is no maximum or minimum length – formatting and font size is your choice.
3. Entrants must be New Zealand permanent residents or citizens.
4. Only one entry per person will be accepted.
5. Entries must be the author’s original work. Any use of quotation must be acknowledged by attribution to its source.
6. Entries must be submitted as one electronic file per entrant, as an email attachment in Word or PDF format. No identifying details should be present in this poetry portfolio.
7. Your entry should also include a covering email with a brief personal statement, an indication of how you would use the award money, and contact details. These covering details are not provided to the judge.
8. The judge will assess the merits of submissions, and the Sarah Broom Poetry Trust reserves the right not to award a prize.
9. The prize recipient will be announced at the Auckland Writers Festival in May 2017 and in other appropriate publications.
10. No correspondence with the judge will be entered into.
11. The name and photograph of the prize recipient may be used by the Sarah Broom Poetry Trust for publicity purposes.