It seems a bit crazy starting a blog when I am just about to head away for a week to visit schools in Christchurch — but I just wanted to get writing about books. I am not sure what my internet access will be like so may not be posting while I am away.
Next Friday (16th August) is NZ Poetry Day and I welcome a day of celebrations. There are lots of events throughout NZ which we can support but there are other things we can do as poetry fans.
1. Buy a poetry book and give it to a friend.
2. Buy a poetry book for yourself
3. Learn a poem by heart.
4. Write a poem and send it to a friend.
5. Write a poem in a form you have never tried.
6. Order a poetry book from a bookshop that stocks poetry.
7. Order a poetry book from a bookshop that doesn’t stock poetry.
8. Write a poem in chalk on a pavement near you.
9. Pour a glass of wine and drink it in the name of poetry.
10. Follow a poetry site on twitter.
11. Recommend a poetry book to someone.
12. Write a short piece On Poetry.
13. Make cake in the name of poetry and eat a slice.
14. Invite friends for dinner and have an informal poetry reading.
15. Carry a poem in your pocket thanks to here.
16. Check out poetry events here.
17. Share a poem here.
18. Add more suggests by commenting on this post ( I have a copy of 99 Ways into NZ Poetry by Paula Green and Harry Ricketts, Random House 2010, for my favourite suggestion).
Happy Poetry Day!